- Instagrams bragging about unseasonably mild weather
- People go to the footy
- Instagrams complaining about weather actually matching season
- Instagrams of broken umbrellas
- People stay in and watch footy on TV
- Instagrams of Manly ferry in huge waves
- People in wetsuits dodge waves on boardwalks
- Manly ferry stops running
- Instagrams of garden furniture upended in back yard
- People in wetsuits go to the footy
- People who don't catch it notice the Manly ferry stopped running
- People told not to go to festivals
- People surprised to discover cars don't float
- People told not to go anywhere at all
- People in wetsuits swim in local park
- Instagrams of neighbour's roof in back yard
- People in wetsuits told to go home
- Festivals cancelled
- Manly ferry converted to ark
- Footy cancelled
Once and for all
- This Ancient Laptop Is The Only Key To The Most Valuable Supercars On The Planet. Don't laugh, something like this is almost certainly happening at your bank.
- The 50 Most Influential Gadgets of All Time | TIME
- Trophy Rat: A Hot Rod Pickup With Real Off-Road Chops | DrivingLine (and video to hear it snarl The Trophy Rat Is Like An Off-Road Electric Banjo)
- This James Bond Style Title Montage For The Empire Strikes Back Strikes Deep
- How Toyota Land Cruisers Are Being Turned Into Mobile Cell Towers
- Australian Rally Drivers Give Unbelievably Relaxed Recap Of Crash They Just Survived. Watch to the end to see them drive (sorta) away. Incredible.
- The Elements Of Style: UNIX As Literature
the larval monuments lurk unlit
beneath their laddered guards
as gaping grounds of labour
ooze corrupt towers of glass
stolen glints from half-blank windows
dust and grime and protective film
wraps the dirty concrete newborn
of a city locked out and spent
the king hits of impotent rage
fall short of the puppet's masters
but strike all young dreams down
to leave only a mother's grief
wars of words whip around us
into polls and posts and papers
but none of that will find a fix
for empty seats or brooding streets
we brought this down upon ourselves
allowing spiteful polls and slogans
a nation voting from the bottom up
gets not needs but just desserts
our bloody beginnings are denied
whether native or convict or settler
despite the stone beneath our feet
collecting the wear of future past
was humanity lost or never here?
did our hearts and hands ever share?
for the way was lost along the way
and we wonder where to find it
- (Demoscene) Assembly 2015 Results – Geeks3D
- In Pod-Based Community Living, Rent Is Cheap, But Sex Is Banned | Motherboard
- Pitting An F1 Car Against A Superbike Is Completely Unfair And Totally Awesome
- The time signature of the Terminator score is a mystery for the ages.:
Fiedel was at heart an improviser. To create the Terminator theme, he first set up a rhythm loop on one of the primitive, early-'80s devices he was using. (In those days, Fiedel was firing up a Prophet-10 and an Oberheim.) He recorded samples of himself whacking a frying pan to create the clanking sounds. Then he played melodic riffs on a synthesizer over the looped beat. Amid the throes of creation, what he hadn't quite noticed—or hadn't bothered to notice—was that his finger had been a split-second off when it pressed the button to establish that rhythm loop.Seriously, just take a moment to imagine the scene as our hero raids his kitchen to create just the right clanging noise to introduce a dystopian future.
- Millennials are being dot.conned by cult-like tech companies | New York Post
- What cyberpunk was and what it will be – Versions:
Questions of plagiarism matter less when we consider how much of a collage the original Blade Runner was. Following the maxim of its baptist William Gibson that “the future is already here, it’s just not evenly distributed,” cyberpunk has always been a scrapyard, with pieces of what is to come scattered through the past and present. Indeed, its saving grace is that it recognizes, as other futurology often fails to, that the future will be a collage and it will be considerably older than the present.
- This Bulldozer Fight Might Be The Best Thing You Watch All Week —Video
- Barista Creates Colorful Latte Art Using Food Dye | Bored Panda
- Traveller T-Shirt With 40 Icons Lets You Communicate In Any Country Even If You Don’t Speak Its Language | Bored Panda
- In 1986 Two Guys Filmed the Parking Lot Scene Outside a Judas Priest Concert and It’s Amazing «TwistedSifter
- There Are No Losers When a Drone Races a McLaren Supercar. In hindsight, drone racing seems like the most logical thing in the world for the post-playstation world. Although in Wip3out's favour you could crash as often as you wanted without having to replace the console ;)
- Radiohead's Bond theme the gift that fans didn't Spectre receive for Christmas | Music | The Guardian
- Man Combines Random People’s Photos Using Neural Networks And The Results Are Amazing | Bored Panda
- Why do people support Donald Trump? My week with a gun-loving Trump voter
- The artificial intelligence that tweets like Donald Trump - BBC News
- We Designed These Lamps To Grow Plants In Windowless Spaces | Bored Panda
- The rise of American authoritarianism - Vox:
Authoritarians prioritize social order and hierarchies, which bring a sense of control to a chaotic world. Challenges to that order — diversity, influx of outsiders, breakdown of the old order — are experienced as personally threatening because they risk upending the status quo order they equate with basic security.
- My Morning Routine Rules Even Though It's a Mess | Greatist:
To pass the time, I like to think through a list of things I'm grateful for. It's not a total antidote, but it does help. My partner, my comfortable bed, my breakfast, my family, Fugazi's debut album, whatever book I'm reading. It's not an easy list to make when hateful me has control, but it's a positive move nonetheless.
- The Uber Model, It Turns Out, Doesn’t Translate - The New York Times
- Navy Carrier Built For F-35s Is Done Being Rebuilt So That It Can Operate F-35s
- How to Make a Bot That Isn't Racist | Motherboard
- The Russians Make The Best Truck In The Universe For $50K
- A Cocktail, Inside an Iceball, Freed by a Hammer «TwistedSifter
- Forgotten Housing Estates Of Paris Documented By Laurent Kronental | Bored Panda
- Religious children are meaner than their secular counterparts, study finds | World news | The Guardian
- SILO DRUMS - sample set | MortonUnderwood... probably just the rivethead in me talking, but this is pretty cool.
- Construction machinery equipment company, CAT, announce the CAT S60 - The world's first smartphone with an Integrated Thermal Camera - Ausdroid. Thermal camera and waterproof. Now that's cool... Cat S60 hands-on photos | The Verge
- The boomer supremacy: The dominance of baby boomers is becoming total | The Monthly:
For many of the young and those approaching middle age, it constitutes a final straw. The physical lockout is the final manifestation of a cultural lockout they have suffered for a long time. They have been locked out of the housing market, locked out of affordable education, locked out of the welfare system and secure employment. They have seen their political power and their real wealth shrivel. And now the one area where their expectations had not been curtailed – recreation – is being destroyed as well.
- This Ludicrous New Instrument Makes Music with 2,000 Marbles | Colossal
- "Base load” power: a myth used to defend the fossil fuel industry : Renew Economy:
Despite prodding by leading oil industry commentator Daniel Yergin, the chairman of State Grid Liu Zhenya reportedly said the “fundamental solution was to accelerate clean energy, with the aim of replacing coal and oil.” Gasp number one. And then to more stunned silence, he and State Grid’s R&D chief Huang Han dismissed coal’s claim to be an indispensable source of “base load” generation.
- Think big, be free, have sex … 10 reasons to be an existentialist | Books | The Guardian
- David Bowie fans pay tribute with mass sing-along in Brixton – video | Music | The Guardian
- For the Potter generation, Alan Rickman’s death marks the end of childhood | Marc Burrows | Opinion | The Guardian
- Six easy ways to tell if that viral story is a hoax
- Makey Makey | Buy Direct (Official Site). Makes anything into a key(board) just by attaching alligator clips.
- recalbox - turn a raspberry pi into a retro gaming system
- Lego's Ford Model A Hot Rod-Towing Raptor Set Kicks Ass
- Astonishing, rare images of the Vietnam War from the winning side
- We got 10 CEOs to tell us their one killer interview question for new hires - Quartz. Couple of pretty sketchy ones, but I really like the 'how were they treated' investigation. I think you really do learn a lot about someone from the way they treat people like the drivers and receptionists.
- Dutch Police Training Eagles to Take Down Drones - IEEE Spectrum
Skip to 1min:
- Russian Officials Will Give You A Truck Full Of Coal If You Just Lose Some Weight. Weight loss... coal. Obviously?! Also didn't realise people were going through (literally) tons of coal to heat personal dwellings - didn't really have much concept how much coal you actually need to burn to heat a house.
- Eric's Archived Thoughts: A “Year in Review” Review - how Facebook learned from causing distress with well-intentioned features.
- 8 Vintage Pics Of Carrie Fisher Promoting “Return Of The Jedi” In 1983 | Bored Panda (mildly NSFW) - didn't know Carrie Fisher had done actual pinup-style photos in the slave girl outfit. On a beach...?!
- Proof That Jet Fuel Weakens the Hell Out of Steel Beams - as much for the ranty style as anything else!
- Can These Micro-Units Fix New York City's Housing Problems?
- Man's best friend also looks out for his canine mates, study finds - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation). Basically dogs will give treats to other dogs, even if they don't receive a treat.
- If it's hardware and programmable, geeks will piss around with it: The Tesla Model X Has a Christmas Party Trick. Regardless of how expensive it is: F1 car plays God Save The Queen - YouTube.
- What It's Like To Drive The Worst Car Ever Built
- Man Proudly "Open Carrying" New Pistol Is Robbed Of It At - Wait For It - Gunpoint - from 2014, but still relevant as people dredge up the 'guns stop crime' argument.
- Dick Smith is the Greatest Private Equity Heist of All Time - Forager Funds:
on the back of this rosy forecast, the business is floated for a $520m market capitalisation, some 52 times the $10m they put in. Anchorage were able to sell the last of their shares in September 2014 at prices slightly higher than the $2.20 float price and walk away with a quiet half a billion.