- AdelaideNow... Idiot Aussies: Grow up and take responsibility (Alexander Downer):
I didn't have the guts to say this as foreign minister but don't you think you should take responsibility for yourself when you go overseas?...pity he didn't say stuff like that, things might have been more interesting! Good rant. I can't believe I would ever say that about Alexander Downer.
- 370 Beech Street, Highland Park, IL, 60035 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com:
THE BEN ROSE HOME-site of the famous movie 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off...is for sale, for a cool US$2.3m.
- A 'Buffy' movie without its maker? Joss Whedon speaks out! | Buffy | Ausiello Files | EW.com:
What do you think about this Buffy movie they're making without you? JOSS WHEDON: I hope it's cool.
- frank lloyd wright lego architecture collection
- Jeremy Clarkson Honda Insight 1.3 IMA SE Hybrid review | Driving - Times Online - stick it out for the last page for an interesting statement from Clarkson about the evolution of green cars.
- Daydreamers might solve problems faster | COSMOS magazine:
Contrary to common opinion, daydreaming is not slacking off because when the brain wanders it is working even harder to solve problems, new research has shown.
- Free Google Apps, More Difficult to Find
- Stop blasting us with unwanted sound, web users tell advertisers - mUmBRELLA (report here: Connecting Campaigns: An Insight into Australia’s views on online advertising | News Digital Media)
- Journalists held hostage until budget message is spun | The Australian:
Cost to the nation's media for the night: well north of $1million (not counting the cost of the various human resources issues arising out of events at the Grail and beyond). Difference it would make to the coverage if they didn't go: zero.
- CeBIT 2009 gadgets gallery | NEWS.com.au
- Designer Brewer Uses Precise Science to Make the Perfect Cup of Coffee - Gizmodo Australia
- Dolly magazine publishes non-retouch edition - mUmBRELLA. Once is just a stunt, especially with the 'except images supplied to us' caveat. Dumping retouching forever would be something.
- 25 logos with hidden messages – Amazing Graphic Designing tricks! | Graphic Design Blog
- Sugar Stacks - How Much Sugar Is in That? One of the reasons I stopped drinking soft drink with meals was the description of cola as 'sugar slurry with just enough water to keep it liquid'...
- in Bb 2.0 - a collaborative music/spoken word project
- texts from last night
- Lifehacker - Groceries That Are Actually Cheaper to Make at Home
A friend of mine pointed out that if I was into the history of the Amen Break I should also know Apache. It was written by Jerry Lordan and first released by The Shadows in the 60s. But it was The Incredible Bongo Band's cover, released in the 70s, that became a staple of hip hop sampling - called the national anthem of hip hop by some.
Here it is...
If you don't recognise it at first, wait for the drum break in the middle. Then you'll realise you've heard it tons of times... YouTube - grandmaster flash and his adventures on the wheels of steel, live 1983, YouTube - Sugar Hill Gang-Jump On It, YouTube - Dj Shadow and Cut Chemist The hard sell (Encore ) Part 3, YouTube - Apache (Fatboy Slim Remix)...
The hat tip for this one goes to DJ Jeffo ;)
Sticker set on James Street, Brisbane (2004).
...you'll (have) notice(d) it everywhere:
This one single 6-second sample has been used mind-bogglingly widely. Copyright law seeks to prevent this form of creativity, even though the actual creators of the Amen Break did not pursue people for using it.
The video finishes with this great quote:
Overprotecting intellectual property is as harmful as underprotecting it. Culture is impossible without a rich public domain. Nothing today, likely nothing since we tamed fire, is genuinely new: Culture, like science and technology, grows by accretion, each new creator building on the works of those who came before. Overprotection stifles the very creative forces it’s supposed to nurture.Judge Alex Kozinski, Dissent re: White v. Samsung Electronics America, Inc.
It's a long video by YouTube standards, but stick it out - it's a good one.