- It's official: the new black is very, very black | Science | The Guardian:
To the probable disappointment of fashionistas everywhere, scientists have taken it on themselves to decide on the new black. And it is (drumroll please): black. But it's a black that's blacker than any black before it. How much more black could you get? As Spinal Tap guitarist Nigel Tuffnell said of the cover of the band's last album, Smell the Glove: 'None more black.'
- Timothy McSweeney's Internet Tendency: I'm Comic Sans, Asshole.:
You think I'm pedestrian and tacky? Guess the fuck what, Picasso. We don't all have seventy-three weights of stick-up-my-ass Helvetica sitting on our seventeen-inch MacBook Pros. ... Maybe sometime you should take off your black turtleneck, stop compulsively adjusting your Tumblr theme, and lighten the fuck up for once.
- if you can't be witty, then at least be bombastic - FAQ:
A Reader Writes: I want to be a photogropher someday. Any advice?...and because it's Kyle Freaking Cassidy, he shares a shitload of advice.
OK, so you've seen the Super Mario Bros theme played before? How about complete with sound effects?! :)
- The Escapist : Video Galleries : Zero Punctuation : Red Dead Redemption. Somtimes ZP is funnier than others, for some reason this one particularly had me laughing.
- Wipe Johns out of game: Inglis. I couldn't agree more. He's had two massive strikes now; and considering just how high his profile is this does massive damage to the game. The NRL is trying to rebuild after a series of scandals and yet they keep relics like Johns in the limelight - it has to stop.
Light fitting in a Melbourne train station.
- Ozzy Osborne is the new Times Online medical columnist... The wisdom of Oz - Times Online:
I can understand — sort of — if people think it’s more rock’n’roll to die young. But what really winds me up is when you hear: “Oh, my great-aunt Nelly smoked 80 fags a day and drank 16 pints of Guinness before bed every night, and she lived until she was 103.” I mean, yeah, that happens. My own gran lived until she was 99. But the odds aren’t on your side. Especially when you get to the grand old age of 61, like me. Another thing that puts a bee up my arse is people who never get checkups, and never go to the doctor, even when they’re half-dead.
- LOL: The Recurring Prop Newspaper | /Film
- iPad un(chocolate)boxing | Ahead, Robot!:
I rang my friends James and Paul, who happens to run the finest chocolate shop in London, and said “Could you freeze an iPad in chocolate carbonite, and have it survive?”. They weren’t sure, but were willing to give it a go.That's, umm, certainly an original way to wrap a technical toy. I note the article doesn't say the iPad worked ;) Although the melting point of chocolate is just at the top end of the iPad's operating temperature so theoretically it should be fine...
- 100 Years Of Propaganda: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Smashing Magazine
Hole-in-the-wall, seriously - this is half the cafe. The other half has enough room for the two staff to stand up in (and only one can turn around at a time).
- I’m dying to get one of those iPads they’re dying to make | Article | The Punch:
Apple is Apple so it has largely escaped the kind of Naomi Klein/No Logo vitriol which has damaged companies such as Nike and Puma. ... It’s such a hysterical double-standard and proof that when it comes to consumer boycotts people are only actually prepared to impose an arbitrary ban on something they think they can live without.Basically Apple's just another giant bastard corporation with a questionable supply chain.
What motivates people?
This video pretty much gets it right and not just because they mention Atlassian ;)
- Dot Shot: Sinkhole in Guatemala City - Dot Earth Blog - NYTimes.com. Freaky photo of massive sinkhole.
- Ball Pool - no flash required!
- Great minimalist movie poster concepts | minimalist approach and Minimal TV series posters by Albert Exergian | minimalist approach
- Simple Desktops
Sometimes it's the simple ones that really crack me up: