OK, so when you vote above the line for the senate; your preferences are distributed according to registered preference tickets. The AEC website is supposed to provide this information, but can you find it? So far I can't.
- OK, this confirms that it should be available: AEC: What: ELECTORS' RIGHT TO CHOOSE PREFERENCES:
Booklets containing all the lists registered for the 2004 election will be available at every polling place on election day and on the AEC website....poor wording could mean you can only get it from the website on polling day. The question would be... WHY? Surely the deals must be locked in by now, with only a couple of days to go. Those booklets have to be printed and distributed, right?
- AEC: What: 2004 ELECTION KEY FACTS AND FIGURES BACKGROUNDER 1
- Crikey - The grubbiest preference deals
- Crikey - The Family First files - updated
- Group Voting Tickets in the Senate, which appears to state that 95% of voters vote above the line (I can't say for sure since they don't actually label the data properly). Which highlights how important preference deals are.
So I guess I'll vote below the line as usual. I just want to see the details of the preference deals...