- MPs pass abortion drug bill. 16/02/2006. ABC News Online:
Federal Parliament has voted to strip the Health Minister of his power of veto power over the abortion drug RU486. ... No official count was taken because no-one called for a division.I don't really think this was about an abortion drug - to me, this was taking a decision away from just one person and putting it in the hands of a group better qualified to make the call. There's no way the Minister could make an unbiased call - the decision would have been made according to his religious beliefs and not medical issues. This is why separation of church and state is important. The bible does not contain a detailed analysis of the medical risks of RU486 and as such is not a suitable reference for the decision. Besides that, democracy is not about a single person's ethical, moral and religious stance making decisions for the entire population.
- Exit, pursued by a bear. - Conscience-driven politics. More on the RU486 vote and the rare glimpse of humanity in our government.
- Reagan is rivet as fuck: Reagan - Heh. Ooops.
- Henry Rollins vs the Australian Govt - The Other Side - Breaking News 24/7 - NEWS.com.au:
AMERICAN rocker and writer Henry Rollins was reported to the National Security hotline during his recent Australian tour because of a book he was reading on a flight to Brisbane. ... He posted the letter on his website. 'Please tell your Government and everyone in your office to go f... themselves. Baghdad's safer than my hometown and your PM is a sissy,' he wrote.It's a compelling and detailed argument ;)
- Porn entrepreneur admits $60,000 heroin habit. 17/02/2006. ABC News Online
- Salt Lake Tribune - Search:
The porn magazine arrives every month at your congressman's office. Tucked in a conservative-looking manila envelope, the latest edition of Hustler goes to all 535 members of Congress. Free of charge.Some of the quotes are interesting. Really, I can't respect someone who considers themselves fit to lead and yet can't cope with throwing out a soft porn mag. It is essentially a prank, if they find that confronting they should get out of the job and lock themselves back in a nice sheltered box.
- UniqueDaily.com - The Many Unusual Looking Buildings On Earth. I love the dancing house.
- UNSW: The University of New South Wales - Sydney Australia - News - Intelligent design meets string theory:
Violinist and industrial designer Tricia Ho is drawing plaudits for her ergonomically designed violin that takes the pain out of playing the bowed string instrument.That's awesome. I wonder what else could be created with those materials?
- Silicon Valley Sleuth: Things you don't want Google to find:
'Hacking Google' isn't exactly new. That is, using the search engine to look for confidential information. But as McAfee's senior vice president for Risk Management George Kurtz demonstrated today at RSA conference, that didn't prevent users and organisations to post those goodies online for anyone to find.It seems people will never quite get the message that not only is obscurity not security, but these days it's probably not particularly obscure either.
- Boing Boing: Converting an NES to an alarm-clock
- Boing Boing: Students learn more from teachers who hand-wave. I wonder if viewers get less information from TV presenters who use totally meaningless hand gestures.
- Boing Boing: The impossible photos of Li Wei (pity the site seems to be down)
Add Your Comments
Please use Name/URL or an OpenID option rather than posting anonymously.