- US senators reach bipartisan gun control deal after recent mass shootings | US gun control | The Guardian:
The proposed deal is a modest breakthrough [...] It falls far short of tougher steps long sought by Biden, many Democrats, gun reform advocates and America citizens.
- Why Pakistani Mangoes Are Near-Impossible to Find in the U.S. - Eater
- Google engineer put on leave after saying AI chatbot has become sentient | The Guardian No it's not sentient, but it is another episode of "ethical situations people are not equipped to handle". The tech is running well ahead of society's ability to discuss it.
- Rebel Wilson: SMH denies outing actor as LGBTQ group denounces 'appalling' situation | The Guardian. In Pride month, no less.
- How your spiking energy bills are making foreign investors rich - ABC News:
Despite promising billions of dollars in tax and royalty revenues while seeking regulatory approval, a combination of accommodative tax regimes on our part and tax avoidance strategies have allowed them to extract vast profits in recent years while contributing almost nothing to the nation. [...] During the past seven years, the world's biggest resource companies have earned around $138 billion in revenue here without paying a cent in corporate income tax, leading to calls for an urgent overhaul in the way we tax multinationals.
- Labor has inherited an imperfect National Electricity Market, with a wealth of energy but a poverty of power - ABC News:
some generators are choosing not to produce electricity, unless they are compelled to by the market operator, in what appears to be a play for easier profits. Quelle surprise.
- TechScape: They used my identity to flog a doomed cryptocurrency – and then things got weird | Cryptocurrencies | The Guardian
- SpaceX employees fired after writing letter criticizing Elon Musk | SpaceX | The Guardian:
At least five employees were fired by private rocket company SpaceX after drafting and circulating an open letter criticizing founder Elon Musk and calling on executives at the start-up to make the company's work culture more inclusive, according to two people familiar with the matter.Goes so well with Musk's "I need to buy twitter to ensure free speech is not impeded" spiel. Oh and meanwhile Elon Musk sued by investor for $367 billion over 'Dogecoin Crypto Pyramid Scheme' - ABC News.
- Ukraine: Soldiers Put Custom Notes on Shells for $40, Fire at Russia:
Sokolenko told Insider that this is an informal arrangement and is not endorsed by senior Ukrainian military commanders. The images, he said, are unlikely to give away the soldiers' identities and locations.War in the age of the gig economy.
- Read the description first, and then... turn up the volume :) Bonobo & Anna Lapwood perform Otomo live at the Royal Albert Hall - YouTube
Add Your Comments
Please use Name/URL or an OpenID option rather than posting anonymously.