- NSW becomes second state to ban Nazi flag and symbols | New South Wales | The Guardian
- Owner of seven properties says landlords getting a raw deal - ABC News. Astoundingly, this headline is not from the Betoota Advocate.
- How Minecraft's NFT ban gutted a crypto empire - Rest of World. There are a whole lot of WTFs in that article.
- King Charles's ascension ignites debate over royals across Commonwealth | King Charles III | The Guardian / Republic debate flares as Australia mourns its longest-serving monarch Queen Elizabeth II | Australia news | The Guardian. Unsurprising, really. Mind you Australia seems unlikely to break away, with a long history of voting 'no' in referendums; and also a bit of a history of dud governments that give an uneasy sense that we might still need adult supervision.
- I Couldn't Forget Isabella Thallas's Murder - The Atlantic:
Killed for walking a dog - The mundanity and insanity of gun death in America
- Optus Under $1 Million Extortion Threat in Data Breach:
ISMG reached out to Optusdata on the forum where the data samples were released and asked how the data was stolen. The person confirmed the data was exfiltrated from an unauthenticated API. To put it another way, the API did not require anyone to login in order to access its functionality.If true, Optus was not the target of a sophisticated attack; they accidentally published the data.
- We love to hate Clippy — but what if Clippy was right? | by tash keuneman | Sep, 2022 | UX Collective:
Clippy was the first computer software that recognised my intent and helped me, and I've been chasing that feeling ever since.
- All Victorians to get four wheelie bins to enable recycling of soft plastics and pizza boxes | Victoria | The Guardian:
The government first announced the overhaul in 2020, following the collapse of the state's largest recycling company SKM a year earlier, which resulted in thousands of tonnes of recycling being sent to landfill.
- Here's Why Craigslist Still Looks the Same After 25 Years:
people want stuff that is simple and fast and gets the job done. People don't need fancy stuff. Sometimes you just want to get through the day.