Posts

Slashdot | Say Goodbye To Your CD-Rs In Two Years? I think I've had nightmares along these lines... I can't read dutch so I don't know if there's a specific list of CDR brands which fail fast. However the comments to this article back up what I've always thought - cheap discs are crap disks unless you really know which ones to buy. Personally I used Kodak for ages, never had any troubles. They're the ones who make the (stupid) 100 year claim (as if they could possibly have tested it). For no reason I know of, they've all but disappeared off the market. Since then, I use Sony blanks; same thing - no hassles. I've also used Laser, which are cheapies; and they've been ok. Then, the really ugly - I've seen cheaparse cds (think Mr Platinum) where the foil flaked off a few months after burning, showing exactly where fingers touched the top of the disc.

Ultimately I figure the only real way to keep data is roll it over to new media every few years. Floppies -> CDs -> DVDs -> whatever comes next. The capacity increases each time; too. Plus, how much data do we really need to keep? Have you ever hung on to an ancient version of some program, "just in case"?

Comments

Add Your Comments

Please use Name/URL or an OpenID option rather than posting anonymously.

Post a Comment