a bit of a catchup, some of these aren't as fresh as they were when picked; but they're still good.
- Boing Boing: White Wolf cuts own throat with "licensing fees" for game organizers:
White Wolf is cutting its own throat, treating its super-recommender customers like thieves, and demanding that the entire world of LARPing rearrange itself to White Wolf's increased convenience and profitability.Also noted in the post is the fact that WW has previously released guides to running LARPs which included suggesting charging small fees to recoup costs.
- Boing Boing: Fingernail data storage. Would that make fake nails extended data storage?
- Boing Boing: Florida man arrested for "stealing" unencrypted WiFi signal. On the one hand, you should secure your network for a variety of reasons; if you don't know how, either don't go wireless or get someone to set it up for you. On the other hand, even if you forget to lock your front door it doesn't mean anyone is allowed to come in. But I suspect insurance companies would refuse to pay up if you never locked your door and then tried to claim if everything got stolen.
- Boing Boing: MSFT acquiring spyware firm, changes antispyware app to ignore its products:
Microsoft is rumored to be acquiring a spyware company called Claria (known for its spyware product, Gator). They have since updated Windows' antispyware app so that it advises users to ignore Gator spyware.The simple fact that they're opening up to software from the makers of Gator should indicate the level of quality you can expect from the MS anti-spyware system.
- Laserpod. Super nifty looking laser/LED lighting thing.
- winterson.com: episode iii, the backstroke of the west. beyond mere ingrish.
- Bush stacks bike into policeman. 07/07/2005. ABC News Online:
US President George W Bush grazed his hands when he collided with a police officer while cycling through the grounds of Gleneagles, the Scottish luxury hotel where world leaders are meeting. ... The officer was taken to hospital as a precaution.You know, between the bike and the pretzels I wonder if Dubya might do the world a favour and accidentally off himself... I also love the fact that the ABC described it as 'stacking' his bike. Very strine.
- New York Institute of Photography - Tips for Better Photographs - Shooting Fireworks with a Digital Camera
- Let the hacks commence! PSP drum machine - Engadget - www.engadget.com