Posts

what the fuck was that crap?

Going past channels L just noticed a song put on during the Logies. People dressed up in bodysuits to look like aboriginal bodypaint, waving kiddie-prop spears and singing some inane shit about "indigeridoo, indigeroodon't". Before we switched channels in defense of our mental health, there was some kind of reference to Eddie Mabo and an embarrassed-looking Cathy Freeman got carried out on stage to pretend she was running.

No matter what the subject matter, it was an affront to the intelligence of anyone watching. The Logies are supposed to show off the best of Australian TV and that piece of immature shit was the best they could come up with? Thinking about it, insulting aboriginal culture was probably about the only way they could have made the whole thing worse. They accomplished that, with the most condescending portrayal of a corroboree I've ever seen.

I can't believe such crap could still be produced in 2006. We have enough problems with race relations as it is, without airing pathetic shit like that at a relatively high-profile event. Flicking back, I was disappointed to see a huge round of applause being given.

I've no idea what the Elders can say - it's barely worth dignifying the Logies' effort by mentioning it ever again. But something would have to be said about trivialising the Mabo case or even Cathy Freeman waving both flags at the Olympics (I can't help wondering if she knew what she'd agreed to?).

I don't know what to say. Maybe it's presumptuous for me to be angry, but I actually feel embarrassed at my own country (or at least the supposed cream of the crop of entertainers).

Update: I've heard later (from people who wouldn't admit whether they were intentionally watching or not ;)) that it might have been intended as a parody. If that's the case at least the intentions weren't so bad; it just didn't come across as a parody. It's a fine line between playing it too straight and overdoing it.

Update 2: OK, so yes it was a parody. I still don't think it sold properly. In hindsight I guess I should have given Australian TV Just a touch more credit. It's sort of disturbing that I think so badly of Aussie TV that I would ever think that shit was serious.

Comments

Anonymous Anonymous  

May 07, 2006 10:49 pm

Maaaaate,
gotta agree. That was the most embarrassing thing I think I've ever seen on Australian television. Sending up aboriginal culture in a comedy show is barely acceptable, but to do it in the variety genre(ie logies) is a shocker.
While I'm at it: Joan Rivers OMG!!!!! Pissed or what?? She summed it up when she said "What the fuck am I doing here? All these important people and I dont know any of them!" Possibly the second most embarrassing thing I've seen on Australian television.
AND....Pink?? Why do we have to import American culture when we are supposedly celebrating what is suppose to be uniquely Australian.

Good one Eddie. You really have your finger on the collective pulse of the Australian psyche! (NOT!!!!!!)

Anonymous Anonymous  

May 10, 2006 9:43 am

That dance was a recreation of a scene from the award-winning Australian comedy series "We Can Be Heroes".

If you watched the program, or understood the context, you wouldn't be offended at all; as someone like Cathy Freeman obviously wasn't.

For more information please see here:
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/heroes/

A little more research before you post saves future embarrasment like this.

Blogger 200ok  

May 10, 2006 10:53 am

Hate to break it to you but I don't research the logies ;)

Anyway as I've already said, it didn't sell as a parody - it's the Cath & Kim syndrome: just a little too true to be funny.

Add Your Comments

Please use Name/URL or an OpenID option rather than posting anonymously.

Post a Comment