- Pentagon set to drop Geneva convention - World - smh.com.au:
THE Pentagon is pushing for its new policy on prisoner detention to omit a key tenet of the Geneva convention that bans 'humiliating and degrading treatment', marking a potentially permanent move away from international human rights standards.I think the truly awful thing about this is that it's not a surprise. Maybe a few years ago before the Reign Of Dubya this would have been shocking. Now... how could we be surprised? America wants to rule the world and it's apparently not afraid to use the very techniques of its supposed reviled foes. Hell, handbasket...
- Independent Online Edition > Environment:
Japan has succeeded in buying the votes that will give it control of the International Whaling Commission (IWC) later this week, in a major step towards bringing back commercial hunting of whales.
- Australian IT - 'Bankrupt' email hits NAB (Staff writers, JUNE 15, 2006):
NAB's internet banking users have been targeted by new email scam that exploits flaws in two popular web browsers via an email claiming the bank is about to go bust.& AusCERT - AL-2006.0049 -- [Win] -- Malicious "National Bank bankrupt" email links to sites targeting multiple web browsers
- aussielj: A warning for Australian Folks - list of 02 and 03 numbers... if you get a missed call, don't ring them. I'm pretty sure I got a couple of these just after a trip down south (which made it confusing, but the numbers didn't match anyone we know), but the numbers aren't in the call register any more to check.
- Boing Boing: Remix roadsigns photoshopping contest
- Boing Boing: HOWTO use a peep-hole as a wide-angle lens (and look mildly indecent)
- Boing Boing: TV teen sex orgy complaints came from people who never saw the show:
The FCC fined CBS $3 million for the teen sex orgy scene in Without a Trace. ... Now CBS is saying the fine is invalid because the people who complained didn't even know what they were complaining about.
- Boing Boing: People are happier when they're older?
- Boing Boing: HOWTO turn a NES controller into a cell-phone
- BBC NEWS | World | Americas | Tabby cat terror for black bear:
A black bear got more than it bargained for after straying into a family garden in the US state of New Jersey. The unwelcome intruder was forced up a tree - twice - by the family pet, a tabby cat called Jack.
Add Your Comments
Please use Name/URL or an OpenID option rather than posting anonymously.