Posts

alright, i'm taking this baby to mexico

There's a saying that you should do something every day which scares you. Frankly I think it's bullshit, since every single day would either be impractical or require being afraid of the toaster.

But you do have to do things that scare you. The past week has ranged from 'nervous' to 'bloody terrified', so I think I'm set for a while.

On Friday I resigned at Griffith, to take up a new job with a little media company you might have heard of. I guess the journalism degree will be vaguely relevant to my career after all ;) I'll still be doing web development, but it'll be interesting to work in the media industry.

So, this means we're moving to Sydney. Hence the mexico reference. I start the new job in just four weeks. Hellfuck!

It wasn't an easy decision - first off to be leaving a job that, on average, has been great. Six years seem to have flown past, especially these last couple of years working with a bunch of talented crazy people. What more can you ask for, eh? :)

Leaving Brisbane isn't taken lightly either. There are a lot of people and places here that we love and will miss. But we also know it's time to get out of the comfort zone and try a new city.

We couldn't decide between Sydney and Melbourne, so I applied for jobs in both and thought fate would decide...

As it turned out, I had to choose between two completely different jobs - one in Sydney and one in Melbourne. There was sort of a third option, but we didn't fancy moving to Oslo. In the space of three days I went from "oh yeah we're looking to move" to "right, ok, I have two opportunities and basically want both of them".

But you can't have both, so I closed my eyes and jumped.

In the end I'm sad to leave Brisbane, disappointed to turn down the Melbourne job and excited to accept the Sydney job. Then a big dash of freaked out about the logistics of getting down there in time!

So, there you have it :)

Labels:

Comments

Anonymous Anonymous  

August 21, 2006 4:32 pm

On Friday I resigned at Griffith, to take up a new job with a little media company you might have heard of. I guess the journalism degree will be vaguely relevant to my career after all ;) I'll still be doing web development, but it'll be interesting to work in the media industry. - or a degree in being able to pick girls with suitably large bosom for page 3;D

Seriously congratulations on the new job...but NSW:(

regards
Blackbishop...I couldn't work out how to choose an id.

Anonymous Anonymous  

August 22, 2006 4:52 am

Ooooh, very exciting! Best of luck to you both.

Sally

Blogger Sal  

August 22, 2006 7:36 pm

hey good onya. shaking things up a bit can add a lot of perspective and richness to life.

don't discount Oslo next time, though -- norway ROCKS -- comfortable to live in plus lively.

i did the same as you a few years back (and now i'm in london). i can really recommend living on the north shore and using the outstanding ferries to get to work. i was in neutral bay, down on the water overlooking the harbour and the submarine base, 60 seconds from the ferry stop. a good trick if renting: shoot for an entire EMPTY house/flat (and get in however many flatmates). you get much better properties for the same per-room cost.

Add Your Comments

Please use Name/URL or an OpenID option rather than posting anonymously.

Post a Comment