You Know You Grew Up In The 80s if:
- You can sing the rap to the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and can do the Carlton
No. In fact, that particular show was one of the things which made me realise how seriously fucked our culture was getting.
- Girls wore biker shorts under their skirts and felt stylishly sexy.
I wouldn't know how they felt. Probably a tad warm where I grew up.
- Two words: Hammer Pants
Big pants, yo, stop, hammer time. I was always kind of amused how the baggy pants covered up his energetic leg moves. It kind of defeated the point, really.
- If you ever watched "Fraggle Rock"
Dance your cares away *clap clap*...
- You had plastic streamers on your handle bars... and spokey-dokes or playing cards on your spokes for that incredible sound effect
No streamers, but I had a couple of spokey dokes - mainly for the challenge of not going slowly enough to hear them.
- You can sing the entire theme song to "Duck Tales" (Woo ooh!)
No, but I can hear the tune in my head.
- It was actually worth getting up early on a Saturday to watch cartoons.
- You wore a ponytail on the side of your head.
No, but I know someone who did...
- You saw the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the big screen..and still know the turtles names.
Donatello (purple), fought with a bo staff and was the gadget/geeky one. Michaelangelo (orange), fought with nunchucks and was the comic relief. Rapheal (red), fought with paired sai and was the cynical/sarky one. Leonardo (blue), fought with paired katana and was the leader.
- You played the game "MASH"(Mansion, Apartment, Shelter, House)
No, dunno what you're on about there.
- You wore stonewashed Jordache jean jackets and were proud of it.
I think I may have had stonewashed jeans at some point, but that's about it.
- L.A. Gear....need I say more?
I have a vague memory, but I think the general concept was 'anything with "LA" in the name must be cooler than anything produced in Australia'.
- You know the profound meaning of "WAX ON, WAX OFF"
- You wanted to be a Goonie.
Not sure how, but the Goonies passed me by. I was aware of them, my friends had the poster. But I don't think I've ever seen the movie.
- You ever wore fluorescent clothing.
Probably, yeah. Although I think it was fluoro *plus black*.
- You can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before his nose fell off and his cheeks shifted.
Yeah, but I need to see a photo of it now to call it to mind ;)
- You have ever pondered why Smurfette was the only female smurf.
Yep, and why did only Papa Smurf get to wear colour?
- You still get the urge to say "NOT" after every sentence.
Shhhyah! And monkeys might fly out of my butt!
- You remember Hypercolor t-shirts.
Yep. I think I got about three wears out of it before the Queensland heat killed it. Ever notice that they always settled back to the crappier of the two colours?
- You thought She-ra (Princess of Power!) and He-Man should hook up.
No, actually they both pretty much shat me off.
- You thought your childhood friends would never leave because you exchanged handmade friendship bracelets.
Umm, no. I remember people making friendship pins though.
- You remember owning roller skates.
No. Didn't go skating much.
- You ever got seriously injured on a Slip and Slide.
No, but I'd say that was dumb luck.
- You've gone through this nodding your head in agreement.
Mostly, anywya :)
- You remember Popples.
No. Actually I first read that as 'Poppies' and they were more 90s.
- Don't worry, be happy
Not the worst song ever, but it really made a lame bumper sticker.
- You remember watching both Gremlins movies.
No actually. I'm not sure I've even seen both Gremlins movies.
- You thought Doogie Howser/Samantha Micelli was hot.
Ahhh, no, sorry.
- You remember Alf, the lil furry brown alien from Melmac.
- You remember New Kids on the Block when they were cool...and don't even flinch when people refer to them as "NKOTB"
Wooooo-oooo-oooo-oooo-oooo. Hanging tough. It does get a twitch though.
- You know all the words to Bon Jovi - SHOT THROUGH THE HEART (YOU GIVE LOVE A BAD NAME).
- You just sang those words to yourself.
Oh bugger. Yeah.
- You remember Homemade Levi shorts.
- You remember when people thought mullets were cool!
I don't think people thought they were cool, although I suspect they thought they were fashionable.
- You had a mullet!
- You tight rolled your jeans.
Don't think so. Sounds pretty painful.
- You owned a banana clip.
I suspect this is another question for the girls.
- You're still singing shot through the heart in your head, aren't you!
Umm. Yes. But it's one of those stick-in-your-head songs, whether you like it or not.