- The Feminist History of %u2018Take Me Out to the Ball Game' | History | Smithsonian Magazine
- Can Macron douse Australia's fires? - POLITICO:
Australia - a country that implemented wildly successful strict gun laws in response to a 1996 shooting massacre and has been held up as the poster-child for gun reform since - is as stuck on climate action as the U.S. is on gun laws. In America, not even the deaths of 20 elementary school children in the Sandy Hook shooting massacre could shift the debate. In Australia, the mounting fire death toll couldn't even get the prime minister to cancel his Hawaiian holiday, let alone increase climate change efforts.
- Mural mocking Scott Morrison for Hawaii holiday during bushfires painted over | Australia news | The Guardian
- The world is hooked on Australian coffee culture. This is how it got so good - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
- RFS firefighter who died when fire tornado flipped truck during Green Valley bushfire named as Samuel McPaul - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation):
"The driver was a veteran captain of 35 years-plus experience. He thought he was in the right spot — as he was, from what I can understand — and just this freakish weather event that would have to be seen to be believed. Even then, other veteran firefighters don't believe what they saw, [it] engulfed that vehicle with flame, fire, and strong winds and literally picked up an 8-tonne truck and flipped it over."When people say 'unprecedented' this is what it means - the old rules no longer work, experienced crews run into conditions beyond anything they can predict.
These two interviews from the 24th are just extraordinary. Fire fighters talking about how locals have had to use private vehicles and equipment, even talking about forming their own fire crews in future.
Exhausted firefighters have accused @ScottMorrisonMP of a publicity stunt as he toured one of NSW's worst firefields yesterday. "We need some action" - Karl Weatherley - Ilford @NSWRFS volunteer. https://t.co/h0h9VhJYAI @MyleeHogan #auspol #NSWFires #7NEWS pic.twitter.com/0XAjsTzXj9— 7NEWS Sydney (@7NewsSydney) December 24, 2019
- Angry Cobargo residents explode at Scott Morrison as PM tours fire-ravaged towns. Morrison's inability to read people is astounding. His bullying is just gross.
- NSW Emergency Services Minister David Elliott admits his absence from NSW during bushfires was 'inexcusable' - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation):
NSW Emergency Services Minister David Elliott, who went on a European holiday during the ongoing bushfire crisis, has labelled his absence "inexcusable".No shit.
- Australia bushfire coverage: ABC emergency fire broadcasts praised but News Corp goes on attack | Australia news | The Guardian:
Despite the overwhelming praise for local radio in places such as Gippsland and the Illawarra, News Corp papers have continued to publish articles critical of the ABC, a decision which has been jarring for many who are relying on the national broadcaster in a time of crisis.
- Scott Morrison criticised for running 'absolutely obscene' political ads during bushfires - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)... when Piers fucking Morgan thinks something is beyond the pale, you've really fucked up.
- Are hazard reduction burns effective in managing bushfires? The answer is complicated - Fact Check - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Add Your Comments
Please use Name/URL or an OpenID option rather than posting anonymously.