- Tiny Art Director
- Coding Horror: The Bad Apple: Group Poison - one person can bring down a group, but one good leader can save it.
- Dark Roasted Blend: Epic Abandoned Substations and Power Plants
- Steampunk awesomeness: Flickr: OutlandArmour's Photostream (via Dark Roasted Blend: Giant Blob Tumbleweeds)
The credit crisis explained in a neat animated package:
The Crisis of Credit Visualized from Jonathan Jarvis on Vimeo.
OK, so the short version is still 'already-fucking-rich fucking-greedy fucks fucked us all'. But this neatly sets it out so you can see how on earth Wall Street managed to ruin the value of houses, which used to be a reasonably safe investment since people are generally keen to live somewhere.
I first started keeping an eye on the Enviromission solar tower project back in 2001. I actually first heard about the idea back in the 80s when Beyond 2000 did a piece on the proof of concept tower built in Spain. The pilot ran for seven years, shutting down in 1989.
By 2003 they were going to build their full scale tower in New South Wales, but now it looks like there will be towers in the USA and Europe before they get back to building one here:
Whilst EnviroMission now expects the first Solar Tower will be developed in the USA, it is felt international development will provide important leverage to increase development prospects in Australia. EnviroMission is seeking the strongest business case for development, and conditions in the USA support development ahead of Australia at this time.
EnviroMission commenced development of the European version of the concept known as the Solar Chimney under the terms of an exclusive licence with global developer, SolarMission Technologies, Inc.EnviroMission Limited – Technology : Technology Overview
It's a pity to see such a cool project ditching plans to build first in Australia.
Skull and crossbone ice cubes!
King's Cross, 2005.
- PARK(ing) Day 2009
- Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions (Sydney Harbour). I know this sort of data mashup is old hat now, but I still find it ridiculously cool. It helps that I can see the harbour from my office window of course - then go look up the vessel details of the big stonking ships sailing in and out.
- Every Swear Word On Every Episode of the Sopranos, Ever [VIDEO]. It's a long video.
- YouTube - Microsoft Vista Speech Recognition Tested - Perl Scripting
- This is why you're fat (dot com). It's horrifying. Yet fascinating.
Newtown street art.
- The case of the 500-mile email. Bizarre bugfixing tales...
- all manner of distractions | 2925 - a table top made of 2925 dice, forming the face of The Madonna.
- xkcd - A Webcomic - Security. So true. So very, very true.
- Inhabitots: Make A Sweater From Your Pet's Fur! They look terrifyingly serious.
- lolcats: One of the oldest human needs - I Can Has Cheezburger?, Winston finally had to concede... - I Can Has Cheezburger?
- English Russia | Canon Vacuum Cleaners
- Dilbert 2009.01.25 | moo